April 15, 1742-1809

Father: Richard D. BELCHER SR (1710-c.August 1763)
Mother: Mary Obedience CLAY (c.1712-1770)

Husband: Mitchell CLAY SR (1739-March 20, 1811)

Patience CLAY (1760-1866) *married CHAPMAN
Sarah CLAY (1762-?)
Tabatha CLAY (1763-1783)
Rebecca CLAY (1764-April 15, 1844)
Bartley CLAY (1766-1783)
Ezekiel CLAY (1767-1783)
David Peyton CLAY (1769-August 1818)
Obedience CLAY (1770-?) *married John FRENCH on January 16, 1787
Mary CLAY (1771-April 25, 1851) *married Ralph STEWART on June 25, 1788
Mitchell CLAY JR (January 5. 1772-June 4, 1850)
Naomi CLAY (1773-1855)
Charles CLAY (December 24, 1775-February 8, 1820)
William CLAY (November 7, 1777-January 12, 1842)
Henry J. CLAY (1781-?)

                             John BELCHER|
 Richard D. BELCHER SR|
|                           |Mary Elizabeth FROGLEY|
|--Phoebe BELCHER
|                            James CLAY        |
|Mary Obedience CLAY
                            |Phoebe BELCHER|

Mitchell drew the land in then, Fincastle County, Virginia, for services rendered as a soldier in the French and Indian war, which began in 1754. Summers' History of Southwest Virginia (1746-1786) page 146 states that on April 25, 1774, Mitchell Clay had 1000 acres, both sides Bluestone Creek, Clover Bottom, according to a survey by John Floyd and others in 1774-1775, lying mostly in Kentucky. This land was acquired under the King's proclamation of 1763 for service in French and Indian war 1754-1763. The grant was made by Dunmore, Governor of the Colony and embraced 1000 acres. It is probable that both Mitchell and his father were in this war. Johnston says that Mitchell Clay married Phoebe Belcher in Franklin County, Virginia, in 1760. He is evidently in error, as Franklin County was not then created. Johnston obtained his information from a manuscript record made by two of the grandsons of Mitchell, and these are usually more or less elastic as to dates and places, though on the whole, fairly accurate. Mitchell Clay had been living on the Clover Bottoms only about one year when the war of the Revolution broke out, Mitchell clay, in april 1774, obtained a crown grant from Lord Dunmore, then royal governor of Virginia, for 803 acres of land described as being situated on both sides of Bluestone Creek, a branch of new river, and called Clover Bottom. With his family ,he moved to his new estate in the spring of 1775. In August of 1785 there occurred the famous Shawnee Massacre, in which two of his children, Bartley and Tabitha, were killed outright, and a third, Ezekiel, carried captive to Chillicothe, and there burned at the stake.
Following the massacre at Clover Bottom, settlers from the new river country pursued the Indians and overtook a portion of them - the main body having in the meantime divided - on Pond Fork, Boone county. in the fight that followed two sons of Mitchell clay, David and Mitchell, the younger, were participants. Ezekiel Clay was not recovered, he being with the other band of indians, and it was in retaliation for losses inflicted upon their comrades on Pond Fork that the indians burned him at the stake upon their arrival at their village on the pickaway plains.
After this disaster came upon his family ,Mitchell Clay moved to the new river country near Pearisburg, where he acquired, on the opposite side of the river from where the town now stands, a tract of land which later was known as the Johnston farm. he resided there until his death in 1811.
At Point Pleasant ,Mitchell Clay was a soldier in the army of general Andrew Lewis, at the battle of point pleasant, oct. 10, 1774. He was also a member of captain Daniel Smith's company of Fincastle Militia during the Revolutionary War.



HTML created by Colleen Fair Keenan on 11/15/2005 .